My Five Favorite Apps | Facades and Nuances: My Five Favorite Apps

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

My Five Favorite Apps


We live in a fantastic age where there is literally an app for everything and at times, it can be a little overwhelming. Someone recommends an app, you download it, promptly forget about it, and it eats up more space on your phone than you need to. That being said, I do love finding new and interesting apps. Here are some of my favorites (without the obvious Facebook and Instagram apps). 

1. VSCOcam - If you follow me on Instagram and notice my hashtags, you know that I adore this app. And honestly, what's not to love? This photo-editing app let's you edit your photo in any way you want - straighten, crop, highlight, shadows, etc. If you want to take a picture on the app itself, it helps you take a straight picture, locks in a white balance, lets you control your shutter speed and exposure, and basically makes sure any and every photo you take is a masterpiece. And if it isn't, well, you have a plethora of wonderfully subtle filters to choose from. 

2. Hyperlapse from Instagram - Hyperlapse is a fun app. Basically, it allows you to make time lapse videos (You can see one on my Instagram here!). Simply record in whatever direction you wish, record, and then adjust the speed. The only downside to this app is once you save it, you can't adjust the speed again. 

3. Overdrive -  I am surprised I don't hear more about this app because its basically a goldmine for ebooks, videobooks, and music and where I get all of my ebooks from. Basically it's a platform where you can access your local library's digital collection. Just add a library, type in your library card, and you have access to a plethora of content. You can check out multiple ebooks and audiobooksfor about 1 to 2 weeks (videos are for 7 days), renew if anyone hasn't put it on hold, and put items on hold. Plus, if you download items on your Overdrive app, you don't have to worry about returning the items and they are easily accessible on your Bookshelf. 

4. Pocket - This one is an oldie but a goodie. Pocket allows you to save anything from the Internet so you can read it later. Plus, it syncs across all devices and you can view whatever you saved even when you are offline. You can add tags to keep track of everything you have saved and can send articles to friends. It's basically how you wish bookmarks worked.

5. Flat Tomato - This app is a free pomodoro app. There are a plethora of different ones out there but I like it because it's free and sticks with the original tomato motif. The pomodoro technique is a productivity method (read more about it here). Basically, when you want to complete a task, you break it into 25 minute spurts of activity called pomdoros. At the end of each pomodoro, you take a 5 minute break and after four pomodoros you take a longer half an hour break. I use this method to help regain some semblance of control when I am overwhelmed and this app works well enough with its timer! 

Do you have any favorite apps? Share them below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...